LISTING YOUR SPACE ON AIRBNB
It’s important to remember that guests searching on Airbnb filter their searches to find a space that best match their needs.
Some of the basic search filters they’re able to specify include location, travel dates, guest numbers, room type, price range, Instant Book, number of bedrooms, beds and bathrooms, Superhost status, amenities, house rules, neighborhoods, facilities and host language:
Therefore, when initially setting up your listing, Airbnb will require some basic information so that your place is able to get found in search results by guests looking for what you have to offer.
Below are all of the things you’ll need to tell Airbnb, to develop a comprehensive listing that’ll help guests find your place and satisfy what it is they’re looking for.
A. What Kind of Place do you Have?
You begin by telling Airbnb…
For your typical host, this is most commonly an apartment or house. Other common property types include bungalows, cabins, condominiums, guesthouses, in-law apartments, guest suites, townhouses and holiday homes. It even includes options as wacky and obscure as treehouses, lighthouses and castles.
You then tell Airbnb whether your place is a home, hotel or something else; and then specify how much space guests will have exclusive access to. Your options are:
You’ll also tell Airbnb whether it’s setup as a dedicated space for guests or whether you keep your personal belongings there too.
B. How Many Guests can Your Place Accommodate?
Your next step will be to tell Airbnb:
- How many guests your place can accommodate
- How many bedrooms guests can use; and
- How many beds guests can use
C. What Kind of Beds Does Your Place Have?
You have the option of specifying bed details, which help guests understand what the sleeping arrangements are like.
Based on how many bedrooms and beds you previously indicated guests can use, Airbnb will enable you to specify the bed details for each of those rooms, as well as for any common spaces too.
D. How Many Bathrooms?
You’ll then tell Airbnb how many bathrooms your place has.
If you’re listing your place as a private or shared room, you will also specify whether the bathroom is private or shared. If you have a toilet separate from the shower, you count it as a 0.5 bathroom.
E. Where’s Your Place Located?
You’ll then tell Airbnb where your place is located by entering your full address. Your exact address will only ever be shared with guests after a confirmed reservation.
Once your listing goes live, you’ll also be able to specify location amenities. These include Beachfront, Lake access, Ski in / Ski out and Waterfront.
F. What Amenities do you Offer?
You’ll then tell Airbnb what amenities you offer. Whilst none are required, providing these will help guests feel at home in your place and add a nice touch to make them feel welcome and comfortable. The amenities you’re able to specify as offering include:
- Essentials (towels, bed sheets, soap and toilet paper)
- Closet / Drawers
- Breakfast, coffee, tea
- Desk / workspace
- Hair dryer
- Pets in the house
- Private entrance
Once your listing goes live, you’ll also be able to specify a whole range of additional amenities too. These include:
- Kitchen amenities (e.g. microwaves, coffee maker, dishes and silverware, and cooking basics)
- Facilities (e.g. free parking on premises, gyms, pools and spas)
- Outdoor space (e.g. BBQ grill, patios, balconies, gardens and backyards)
- Special amenities (e.g. breakfast and beach essentials)
- Family amenities (e.g. baby bath, changing tables and cribs)
Also once your listing is live, you’re able to specify accessibility features, such as:
- Step-free access to your home
- Path to entrance being lit at night
- Wide hallway clearances and doorways
- Lifts in the building
- Flat smooth pathways to front door
- Disabled parking spots
- Accessible-height beds and toilets
- Firm mattresses
- Grab-rails for shower and toilet
To specify these additional amenities and accessibility features (as well as other home safety and location features) once your listing is live:
- Login to Airbnb
- In Hosting mode, select Listings from the top navigation bar
- Select Manage listing for your listing
- Click on Listing details from the menu at the top
- Click the Edit button for the Amenities section
- Click the Edit button for the Additional, Family, Logistics, Accessibility, Home Safety or Location sections
- Select all relevant amenities, logistics and accessibility, home safety and/or location features that are applicable to your place
- Click the Save button
G. What Spaces can Guests Use?
You’ll then be required to specify the spaces guests can use. These are spaces on your property. Your options include:
- Private living room
- Laundry – washer
- Laundry – dryer
- Hot tub
Don’t include laundromats or nearby places that aren’t part of your property. If it’s okay with your neighbors, you can include a pool, hot tub, or other shared space.